Garden of Dreams
$11.98 – $16.98
Exciting new music for winds,brass,percussion & pipe organ!
David Maslanka is the most-performed living composer for wind band.His music is widely known for its accessibility,its brilliant and imaginative orchestration,and its depth of expression.Maslanka has spent his artistic life exploring what can be called the dreamscape of music.Music,in his words,forms the “balance point between the conscious and unconscious minds.” His music fuels the active power of our waking life,and resonates in the deep pools of what he calls the “mystic, timeless part” of our being —”the part where dreams come from.”
This new recording by America’s premier wind band presents three Maslanka works in the finest professional performances they are likely to have. A Child’s Garden of Dreams is a kaleidoscopic exploration of the sonorities and textures available from the modern concert wind band. In Memoriam, based on a Bach chorale,is an eloquent soundscape with an impressive range of musical color. Symphony #4, an imposing work incorporating the doxology hymn-tune “Old Hundredth,” rises to a magnificent climax calling for full forces and pipe organ. As captured by “Prof.” Johnson’s thrilling HDCD© recording, this is sure to become a touchstone of state-of-the-art sound reproduction.
On This Recording
- A Child’s Garden of Dreams, Book 1
- I. There is a Desert on the Moon Where the Dreamer Sinks So Deeply into the Ground That She Reaches Hell
- II. A Drunken Woman Falls into the Water and Comes out Renewed and Sober
- III. A Horde of Small Animals Frightens the Dreamer. The Animals increase to a Tremendous Size, and One of Them Devours the Little Girl
- IV. A Drop of Water is Seen as It Appears When Looked at Through a Microscope. The Girl Sees That the Drop Is Full of Tree Branches. This Portrays the Origin of the World
- V. An Ascent into Heaven Where Pagan Dances Are Being Celebrated, and a Descent into Hell Where Angels Are Doing Good Deeds
- In Memoriam
- Measures 1-322
- Measures 33-405
- Measures 406-569