Outta My Soul
New to our Fresh! series is Robert Moore, jazz vocalist, composer, trumpet and harmonica player based in Portland. He has evolved a sound uniquely his own, mixing his Southern roots, influences of soul and gospel into his own distinct interpretations of bebop and swinging jazz.
Produced by Robert and recorded in high-res digital by innovative engineer Bob Stark, the album combines creative arrangements and outstanding performances by many of Portland’s best musicians in a wide variety of settings from two to twelve.
Moore started his singing career in a Southern Baptist church, and that early heartfelt gospel truth can still be heard in the soulful delivery of his music. After stints as a public schools music teacher, he began his performance career, settling in Birmingham, Alabama. After 25 years there, he moved his scene to Portland, Oregon, finding a home and a following among the knowing jazz fans of that musically sophisticated city.
His music has steadily grown in depth, passion and honesty during his 60 years on the planet. Robert’s well-seasoned, finelyhoned chops on vocals, trumpet, and harmonica are bringing joy to a wider audience than ever.
On This Recording
- All Day Long - words and music Robert Moore
- She Lies Herself to Sleep - words and music T. Menzies and T. Heselden (I'll Lie Myself To Sleep) adapted lyrics Robert Moore
- Nothin' 'Bout Me - words and music by Sting; arr. Dan Gaynor and Robert Moore
- Another Round - words Robert Moore; music Duval, Erskine, Jones, Matheis and Moore
- Don't Ever Tell Me - words and music Robert Moore; arr. Tommy Stewart
- Fishin' - words and music Robert Moore; arr. Tommy Stewart
- IONO - music Robert Moore; arr. Derek Sims
- I Want a Little Girl - lyrics Billy Moll, music Murray Mencher; arr. Tommy Stewart
- Benny's from Heaven - lyrics Eddie Jefferson and Johnny Burke, music Arthur Johnson
- Spring Will Be a Little Late This Year - words and music Frank Loesser
- Swan Blues - lyrics King Pleasure, music Gene Ammons; arr. Steve Christofferson
- Shine On Little Star - words and music Robert Moore
“Robert Moore is a vintage Jazz hipster and possibly the coolest one in town. A singer, a trumpeter and a composer who has a maverick streak and takes no mess. This honesty and willingness to speak his mind has not endeared him to everyone in the music biz...but it has to music fans.” —Tom D'Antoni, Oregon Music News “Reference Recordings has expanded their Fresh series to include singer Robert Moore. With Southern gospel roots, Moore has developed a soulful, passionate delivery. … With the release of Outta My Soul , Moore has crafted an accessible, well-rounded musical statement. Drawing on his skills as a composer, singer and instrumentalist, this twelve-track, polished album combines accomplished session players with a seasoned band leader. … Outta My Soul has been recorded with superior acoustics by engineer Bob Stark. It is a fresh approach to jazz.” —Robbie Gerson, Audiophile Audition