The Absolute Sound Super Disc List
Relaxing, beloved classics by Debussy, Satie, Ravel, Faurè, Tchaikovsky, Sibelius and more, beautifully played by one of America’s great orchestras. A balm for jangled nerves, and excellent music for unwinding and dining! The pace of the human heartbeat so appealed to the composers on this program that they harnessed their music to it. Yet they produced orchestral statements of such variety that a listener might not immediately discern their similar pace, which is described by the musical term “andante,” or walking tempo. A departure, then, for RR and “Prof.” Johnson, whose spacious and transparent sonic textures play large dividends in string-based orchestral music of such clarity and refinement.
On This Recording
- SATIE:, arr. Debussy: Gymnopédie no. 1
- DEBUSSY: Rêverie, for piano, L. 68
- FAURE: Pavane
- GRIEG: Solveig’s Song (Peer Gynt)
- MASSENET: The Last Sleep of the Virgin
- WOLF-FERRARI: Intermezzo (The Jewels of the Madonna)
- DEBUSSY: Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun
- GOUNOD: Le Sommeil de Juliette
- RAVEL: Pavane for a Dead Princess
- TCHAIKOVSKY: Andante cantabile
- SIBELIUS: The Swan of Tuonela
- SATIE:, arr. Debussy Gymnopédie no. 3.
“It succeeds in plunging us into a dreamlike state that chases away daily pressures... I emerged from listening refreshed and serene.” —Reine Lessard, Ultra High Fidelity “As usual, Reference offers a luminous and lush sonic production, which serves this music well…by all means make some herbal tea, stretch out on the chaise, and unwind to these dulcet tunes.” — Michael Liebowitz, ClassicsToday